Saturday, March 10, 2007

35/11 Timp

I surpassed my goals for the week by a few minutes. I ran for 35 today, and walked 11. (I had to work off the three pieces of angel food cake I had at Tia's house last night.) It was warm enough that I didn't need my hat and gloves. I love spring. I almost got all the way to the biggest weeping cherry in the county. That means that by the time it is flowering, I'll be able to get there to see it.

My right hip is hurting. I don't remember it feeling like this before I was pregnant with Kiki. Before Derek and I were even dating, we went on an overnight hike to Mt. Timpanogos, in Utah County. It's about 17 miles round-trip, and we wanted to see the sunrise from the peak, so we slept at Emerald lake, about 3 miles from the top. I didn't actually sleep, since I didn't carry a pad, but I did have a back-pack with a sleeping bag and food, and extra clothes. At about 4:30 am, we got up to climb the summit. It's a pretty steep hike, and after lugging the pack the day before, and adding the rocky final ascent, I think I damaged my hip. It started hurting before we got to the top, then got worse as we came down. By the time we got to the bottom, it was hurting pretty badly.

It took about a month before I could walk without pain in that hip, and I don't think I ran much for a few more months after that. And even when I did start running again, it was only for a mile or so. So maybe that it surfacing again. I'll try to be careful.

I'd love to be able to hike Timp again before we move to Ohio and lose our altitude tolerance. I don't think it will happen, though. Since Kiki is still nursing, I couldn't leave her for long enough to do the entire hike, and I don't think we'd be able to carry her.

No comments: