Wednesday, April 18, 2007

New Shoes

I got a new pair of shoes a couple of weeks ago. They're Pearl Izumis. I love them. I had Mizuno Wave Riders for a few years, but they kept changing them, and I got tired of not knowing what to expect. Plus, my last pair was so squeaky that I would wake up the kids while I was trying to sneak out of the house in the morning. I tried a bunch of things to get them to stop squeaking, but they only got worse, even after 400 miles. Yes, I kept running in them anyway, but no more.

So I went to Runner's Corner to get some new shoes, and though the service there is sometimes questionable, they always know what they're talking about. It came down to the Pearl Izumis and the Asics Gel-Cumulus. I chose the PIs just to try something different, and they are such a smooth ride! I think I'll try the Asics next time and compare the two with more mileage.

The PIs are so wonderfully cushioned. I was wanting cushy shoes because I was having pain in my heels, ankles and hips. My heel pain is now totally gone, and my hip pain is much reduced, even after running 4 1/2 miles on Saturday. There's nothing like running pain-free.

The one drawback of the PIs is that they are not just mesh uppers, like most other running shoes. They have some sort of thin foam or something inside the uppers. I noticed it when I tried them on, but bought them anyway. It just makes them a little warmer than other shoes. I don't think I will be able to wear them all day in the summer, but in the winter, it will be great to not have frozen toes after running in 20o weather. It sort of feels like I've got a blanket wrapped around my feet, and is quite comfortable.

I recommend the Pearl Izumi Shine for women who are small to medium frame (I'm on the top end, at 144 pounds) and like a neutral shoe with some cushion. I have yet to try them on a trail, though, and we'll see if they hold up for 500 miles.

No comments: